Search This Blog

Wednesday, 28 October 2015

The Revolution of Running Away

The Revolution of Running Away

By
Alexander Gordon Jahans


I want to run away.

I want to grab my laptop and a bottle of lemonade and just walk off into the night never to be seen again.

I want to learn to drive and take off in a campervan into the wide blue yonder.

I want to buy a narrow boat and take to the canals.

I want to hitch a lift in the tardis to pastures new, even crochety old Capaldi would be batter than this shit.

I would even say yes to a Logicio or a Farsh-nuke so long as they got me the fuck out of here.

Where would I go?

I want to go where there is no corruption.

I want to go where governments are elected via proportional representation.

I want to go where free health care for all is an unthreatened right.

I want to go where the welfare system is protected, extensive and all inclusive.

I want to go where companies are properly regulated and pay their staff fairly.

I want to go where the rich are humble, charitable and pay their taxes without a fuss.

I want to go where diplomacy is put before military action but where action is taken to safeguard the vulnerable.

I want to go where the people take to the streets to fight for their rights if the government come to take them away.

I want to go where the unions are strong.

I want to go where politicians are honest and wouldn't be anything else.

I want to go where the media reflects the truth and the will of the people, not whoever is paying them more money or threatening them more severely.

I want to go where the people are smart enough to combat climate change effectively.

I want to go where the white man's word doesn't still carry the most weight.

I want to go where equality is a fact of life, not an aspiration to be fought for.

I want to go somewhere that doesn't make me feel so horrible.