Search This Blog

Sunday, 30 January 2011

Good things come to those who wait

I could and perhaps should have updated my blog sooner but a lot has happened and infrequently.

First very important (to me at least) thing to mention is that thanks to the bad report and the laptop's shitness my wonderful parents have brought me an AMD quadcore computer with 500gb internal memory, 3gb ram, nvidia geforce graphics and a multi card reader. I have decided to call her Amy.

Next in order of importance is that aside from a minor hiccup (the university I was looking at dropping its course and the alternative having higher entry requirements) I am on course for university.

In bronze we have the fact that following a cash gift from gran I now have a decent webcam which works on Ubuntu, a bluetooth adapter so my mobile can speak to Amy, 2 books (The Seventh Doctor Handbook - paperback, used. Any Human Heart - kindle edition, new.) and the Doctor Who Pattern Book which has some nicely ambitious projects I might try my hand up someday (though naturally I might try to 'improve' them). The Doctor Who Pattern Book has a number of sewing projects from simple monster glove puppets or stuffed K9 and Cybermat patterns through the ambitious Tardis console and police box cushions to Adric's tunic and Romana's sailor top. A modest investment and one I'm glad I've made, someday a convention costume will come from that. Minor quibble, patterns are not full size but even this just means you're guaranteed to end up making a costume that will fit, rather than one that looks like it might but doesn't really.

Probably should have mentioned this earlier but in fourth we have my sewing machine finally arriving. Despite the site proclaiming delivery in 3-5 days, it took 30 for mine (perhaps it was a typo?) apparently they had to reorder. Despite the late delivery it's a cracking sewing machine, as I new it would be, I picked it up right away (after carefully reading the excellent instruction manual first). It's relatively easy and simple to use and despite my utter beginner status I've not stuffed up in a major way yet.

Other sewing related stuff:
I have 'dressmakers scissors' presumably pinking shears but regardless they do the job. Harvested 3 pairs of chinos for fabric, not too bad. Fabric arrived. Shirt, waist and frock coat patterns show no sign of turning up, have ordered laughing moon frock coat and vest patterns to make up for this. Have loads more bits of salvaged fabric in my pile.

Now onto the main event:
I have actually worked on a piece of clothing, I replaced a lost button on a nice pair of trousers.